Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Case for "Alternative" Therapy (or, how I went from skeptic to seeker to...practicer?)

There it is. I just admitted that I believe that there is a case for non-Western approaches to our health. Most of you reading this--even my scientist friends--will probably not be all that stunned by that news. Most of us are willing to admit on a hypothetical basis that Western medicine and science probably don't have everything figured out. And that there might be the occasional herb or natural remedy out there that actually works. But I'm guessing that most of you probably think about the whole issue the way I did. Sure, "alternative" therapies can work, but only when they can be fully explained scientifically. Otherwise, any benefits are probably just placebo. And a prescription drug or medical procedure would probably be more effective.

First of all, I should define what I am including in my broad-brushed term "alternative." Basically, I'm being extremely unscientific by including anything from yoga to homeopathy to acupuncture (chinese medicine, herbs, massage, etc). Anything that our traditional Western medical system has poo-pooed because they often can't understand how they work. Once our scientists can figure out a reasonable explanation for why something might work, they generally start to be more open to it.

Rather than trying to make this some kind of scientific argument, I'll explain my own odyssey in my understanding of "alternative" methods. I'll use the specific example of insomnia. Starting in college, I began to periodically have nights where I struggled to fall asleep. I never had a night where I didn't sleep at all, but I would sometimes just start to get a bit panicky as I lay in bed, fearing that I might not fall asleep. The psychological/spiritual/mental reasons behind why this happened to me are for another post; here I'll just focus on what I did therapeutically to help myself sleep better. (In other words, all of this was accompanied by tons of prayer, soul-searching, agonizing, and growth on my part.)

The first medicine I tried, which worked for several years, was simply Tylenol PM (dipenhydramine). Over-the-counter, few side-effects (except drowsiness), it seemed to be what I needed when I was experiencing only occasional insomnia. I grew up in a family where taking medicine was generally looked on as less desirable than toughing it out, though, so I always felt guilty about taking it. Like I was just giving in to fear.

Then, a few years ago, my general stress and fear about sleep grew to the point that I really started dealing with insomnia in full-force. As in, I stopped sleeping naturally, and dipenhydramine stopped cutting it. This lasted for several months and was accompanied by depression and anxiety. Early on, I emailed my doctor about it, hoping she would tell me there was some solveable disorder I had (like hypothyrodism or something). I at least hoped she would ask some more probing questions to figure out what the cause was. Instead, I received a reply consisting of a few short lines, telling me she had sent a prescription for Ambien to the pharmacy for me. What? That's how she was going to solve my problem? Throw a drug at me? Ambien ended up being far too expensive for me, so she switched me to Trazadone, which is an antidepressant with drowsiness as a side-effect. However, after taking that for two nights in a row, I fainted the next morning and nearly gave Pete a hard attack (he says it was the scariest moment of his life, actually, because he thought I was having some kind of seizure).

I toughed it out for weeks, researching all kinds of home remedies that never seemed to work. I knew there were all kinds of herbs out there that were purported to help with sleep, but I thought none of them could possibly be as strong as dipenhydramine, and that wasn't working for me, so...

But I got desperate. So I went to our local health food store and asked the guy who worked there what he recommended for help sleeping. I bought the bottle he suggested and started taking it. You know what? Within a few nights, I was gradually sleeping better. I did some fine-tuning on the dosage and kind of pill, and I'm still taking it on and off today. Herbal remedies? Check.

Fast forward a couple of years. A friend of my parents had put me on to oscillococcinum, a homeopathic drug that they swore did wonders for warding off the flu. Homeopathy. I thought only quacks fell for the idea that "like cures like." I mean, really. Like cures like? Since when? But I started doing some research and tried the oscillo (along with coldcalm, targeted for cold symptoms) the next time I started feeling a sore throat. The sore throat stopped in its tracks. Of course, that's no proof--or even good evidence--that the homeopathic stuff worked. So I found a homeopathic drug for insomnia and decided to give that a try. I've tried enough different kinds of sleeping medications to be able to tell pretty well when one of them is helping. I'm pretty good at distinguishing between my body's natural fatigue and a sleepiness aided by outside intervention. The homeo stuff worked! I fell asleep gently but fairly quickly. Of course, it's not strong enough for the nights when I'm really wound up tight. But for the slightly-wound-up nights, it's great. And even safer and fewer side-effects than herbs. It would even be safe during pregnancy. Cool. Homeopathy? Check.

My history with yoga is a little more complicated. I was taught from a young age that yoga was not an activity in which Christians should engage. All the Buddhist meditation mumbo-jumbo was simply better avoided. But if you haven't noticed, yoga is all the rage these days. Everywhere. And I have a good number of Christian friends who got into it. So it wasn't too hard for me to let go of the sense of taboo I used to have about it.

That doesn't mean I started practicing yoga. I'm not naturally athletic and don't enjoy exercising, so my philosophy on exercise has always been to do what's the most efficient (ie fastest) and cheapest way to stay in decent shape. So I was a "runner." More of a recreational jogger, except I've never really enjoyed it so I wouldn't even call it recreation. I would also do some light weight-lifting at home and the occasional aerobics video, since I figured that worked out more of my core muscles and seemed to help alleviate tension in my back.

Then I got diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea. I will spare you the details. But basically, I needed to shock my body out of the slight energy deficiency it's lived under for the past six years, since I got serious about exercising and eating healthily. For a while, I just increased my eating to gain a few pounds and kept with the running. I mean, could twenty-five minutes of jogging three times a week really be doing anything but good for me? But finally, when the increase in calorie intake didn't seem to be quite enough, I decided to give up the jogging. And switch to yoga, which I figured would keep me somewhat active, strong, and flexible (avoiding back pain) but is not intense enough to be doing whatever the running was doing to me.

So here I am, almost a month in to practicing yoga regularly. And I can honestly say that I've actually found an exercise that I enjoy. I always believed it had benefits--there's a lot of irrefutable research out there supporting that claim--but I figured anything that helps you relax and breathe is going to have benefits. Now, I'm starting to think that the actual yoga method does things to your body that no other form of exercise does as well. It stretches and strengthens at the same time. And the twists kind of feel like they're getting internal organs along with muscles and tendons (which is why you aren't supposed to do twists when on your period). Of course I don't meditate in the sense of trying to "empty" my mind in the Buddhist sense. In fact, I'm kind of bad in that I usually skip through the laying-on-the-floor-breathing portions of my yoga videos because I'm too impatient. But there's nothing wrong with deep breathing and relaxing.

My most recent discovery in the world of alternative/natural health is acupuncture. As I mentioned, I am recovering (I think) from hypothalamic amenorrhea, a hormonal condition. The traditional, Western approach to treatment would be very invasive, stressful, and, for us, not covered by insurance and thus astronomically expensive. As in, over $500 just for one doctor's (a reproductive endocrinologist) visit. My feelings about it not being covered by insurance are a whole different topic, but let's just say I was a bit frustrated when I found out about that little nugget. I have always wanted to try acupuncture, just to see what it was like, but never really went for it because of the cost and because I really didn't understand how sticking a bunch of tiny needles in my body could have any effect. But, a few weeks ago, I received a coupon for an initial consultation and treatment at an acupuncture/chinese medicine clinic for only $29. I decided I couldn't pass up such a great deal, so I went. And I fell in love with my acupuncturist. She completely understood my issues and, more importantly, told me she could fix them within 6 months of regular treatment! And though the treatment isn't cheap, it's waaaay cheaper than the doctor option. What's more, I really did feel some effects from the one treatment she gave me.

So, here I go. Down the alternative path. I have my next acupuncture treatment in about a week and a half. I expect she'll give me a nice herbal concoction to take along with the treatment. I've cut out all jogging and most other forms of exercise for the sake of yoga. Not that I would recommend that to others, but I needed to do that for the sake of my HA. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment