Thursday, March 4, 2010

Impressions from Noah's Ark

I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to think of a suitable title for this post, but I got nothing that's not weak-sauce, as Pete would say. But why am I impressed with Noah's Ark, you ask? Let me tell you.

I just (well, two weeks ago) got back from a week-long trip to Hong Kong. I traveled there and back entirely by myself, which I can't say is my preferred method of transportation. But Cathay Pacific is definitely my preferred airline, so at least I was taken care of in my alone-ness. And really, I can't complain about a flight that takes me to my destination on the other side of the world in fifteen hours with no stops along the way. Once I arrived, I spent most of the week thinking wistfully about being alone, as I was surrounded by people twenty-four/seven while there. I was even staying in a room with six other women (and thankfully, two bathrooms).

And where was that crowded room? Well, here's where the trip gets cool. That crowded room was on the top floor of this:

 

That is, in fact, what it looks like. A life-sized replica of Noah's Ark. Such a thing could only exist in Hong Kong. Most of the Ark is filled with several different kinds of museums that educate children about nature, conservation, animals, etc. And the top floor is a hotel. Interested in visiting? You can check it out here and stop by next time you're in Hong Kong.

The reason I went to Hong Kong and stayed in the Ark was to run a kids' program during the annual retreat of a non-profit organization Pete and I have worked with in the past. The woman running the retreat found out that I work with kids in my day job and asked if I would be interested in taking my schtick to Hong Kong. I agreed. So I spent my mornings and several of my afternoons working with a charming group of children, aged everywhere from 3 to 8.

 

A few are missing from that picture, but that's most of them. They were each so darling and 90% well-behaved. I loved hanging out with them.
I didn't get to do much touring because my schedule was so packed, but I did go out on the town a few times. Including once when I picked up a pair of real American Eagle jeans (not knock-offs) for $12 with free hemming. Let me repeat, free hemming! You can see why I may be attracted to the idea of living in Asia.

Someone recently told me that a good way of reflecting on a trip is to come up with a top ten list. Since my trip was less than a week long, I'll do my top five. In no particular order.
  1. Staying in the only life-sized replica of Noah's Ark in existence. How many people can say they've done that?
  2. Hanging out with eight amazingly cute and fun TCKs.
  3. Being served a delicious, five-course, Western-style meal on the top floor of one of Hong Kong's universities. Not that I didn't love the Chinese food I ate, but real mashed potatoes really do taste good after a week of rice and noodles.
  4. Watching my new jeans get hemmed in under four minutes flat. And the hem quality is outstanding.
  5. Arriving home to see my honey after three weeks of being apart. He was traveling for two weeks before I left and we had one day together in between trips. So yes, I was ecstatic to see him when I finally made it through the long customs line at the airport.
Just for good measure, I have to end with one last picture of one of my three-year-olds. She's just so dang cute with the little pose she threw for me when I pointed the camera at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment